Don’t miss the biggest track event of the year
November 21, 2013 § 1 Comment
The Los Angeles Grand Prix is this weekend. Make time for a morning or an evening, or both, of world-class track racing at the best velodrome in North America.
The historic return of the world’s fastest track racers to Los Angeles is finally here. This weekend, Nov. 22-24, the LA Grand Prix will bring together racers from eleven countries over three days to sprint the fastest, take the most laps, burn up the boards in an incredible display of athleticism, daring, and no-gears, no-brakes bike racing.
There more at stake than bragging rights, because UCI points will also be awarded at this Class 1 event, which is also the National Track Calendar finale and the 2013 US Paracycling Championships. If you’ve always wondered what track racing is about, this is the best opportunity you’ll have to see it up close and personal.
Some of the storylines that will play out over the weekend:
- Home Advantage: Sarah Hammer, six-time world champion, two-time Olympian and Olympic silver medalist will be racing in front of friends and family on her home track. Sarah born in Redondo Beach and raised in Temecula, and is one of the best U.S. bike racers ever.
- Northern Border Clash: The reigning Olympic silver (USA) and bronze (Canada) women’s team pursuit will go head to head on Friday. Team Canada has bested the US with a silver medal in the last world championships and world cup, races. Will the Canadians maintain their ascendancy, or will it be time for the Americans to even the score?
- 30 Years Later: The track cycling world returns to the site of the LA84 Olympic velodrome in the completely rebuilt indoor track here in Carson, a world class facility and the fastest track in North America.
- Stars all day long: The Grand Prix is fully integrated with the US Paracycling Championships. Come watch world champions Greta Niemanas, Jenn Schuble, and Allison Jones, a six-time Paralympian in cycling and skiing and 2014 Winter Olympics hopeful as they battle it out for the ultimate prize.
- Full Gas Sprinting: A deep sprint field featuring Olympian Njisane Phillip, and seven other countries have brought their fastest track sprinters to bang bars and shoulders in a raw display of power and speed.
- The Whole Omnium: The women’s omnium is stacked! Olympic silver medalist Sarah Hammer will be here to race along with other top Americans, including World Cup silver medalist Gillian Carleton, and world championships silver medalist Sofia Arreola will be the tip of the cycling iceberg — an iceberg that’s going to sink some ships!
For discounted group tickets, call 213-763-7934, and save $100 for every 10 tickets purchased.
Schedule: Friday 11AM Morning Session — 6:30PM Evening Session
Saturday 9AM Morning Session — 6:30PM Evening Session
Sunday 9AM Morning Session — 3:00PM Evening Session
Los Angeles Grand Prix by the Numbers
- 11 Countries Represented: USA, France, Mexico, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, Slovakia, Columbia, Chile, South Africa, Venezuela, and Suriname
- 12 Olympians
- 4 Olympic Medal winners
- The best paracylcing track racers in the world, including world champions, world record holders, and paralympians
Get more details here by going directly to the VeloSports Center web site.