Beans are cooking on the stove and have been since 5:00 AM. They will be ready tonight. Soak them in water the night before, then sautee the celery, onion, and garlic in bacon fat. Spice the beans, dump in the vegetables along with the bacon, the fat, and the vegetable juice, and sit tight.
The apartment smells REALLY good at 5:00 AM, by the way.
Which got me to thinking about cycling, which in some circles is simply referred to as an eating disorder. After I tossed aside the bottle last November I dropped between 15 and 20 pounds. By March I weighed 150; I’m 5′-11″. Actually, I’m 6′-0″, but when I say I’m 5′-11″ it really agonizes all the guys who tell everyone else they’re “six feet.”
“Hey, no way!” they holler. “I’m six feet and you’re taller than me!”
“I guess you’re not six feet, then.” Boom.
But anyway, back to cycling, I mean the eating disorder. Losing weight is easier than keeping it off, and losing it is hard enough. A few years ago I went on the kimchi diet, but all it got me was emaciated, slow, low test, 15 hours sleep each day, and farts.
This time I’ve kept my weight at between 148-150 every month since March. Please don’t try this, as it won’t work for you. Still.
- I eat three times a day. 5:00 AM when I get up, 12:00 noon, and then at 6 or 7 PM.
- I don’t eat between meals. No snacking, no fruit, no milk, no nuts, except on the Donut Ride, when I put energy drink in my bottle instead of water. If I get nailed by a low energy lull I nap for five or ten minutes.
- When I eat, I eat until I’m full. Seconds if I feel like it, occasionally thirds, but not often.
- Fruit for dessert.
- I rarely eat out.
- No alcohol.
- No weird dietary restrictions; plenty of fat and meat and dairy.
- I grocery shop for each day only. No bulk supplies or meal planning.
- With the exception of booze, no absolutes.
I try to take a 15-20 minute walk at least once a day; an hour in the morning when I can squeeze it in.
There you have it.
For $2.99 per month you can subscribe to this blog and lose. Click here and select the “subscribe” link in the upper right-hand corner. Thank you!